The IBM EXN3500 is a small form factor (SFF) 2U disk storage expansion unit for mounting in any industry standard 19-inch rack. The EXN3500 provides low-cost, high-capacity SAS disk storage with slots for 24 hard disk drives for the IBM N series system storage family. The EXN3500 SAS expansion unit is shipped with no disk drives unless they are included in the order. In that case, the disk drives will be installed in the plant.
The EXN3500 SAS expansion unit is a 2U SFF disk storage expansion unit that must be mounted in an industry standard 19-inch rack. It may be attached to all N series systems except N3300, N3700, N5200, and N5500.The EXN3500 SAS expansion unit can be shipped with no disk drives installed. Disk drives ordered with the EXN3500 will be installed by IBM in the plant prior to shipping. Disk drives may be of 450 GB and 600 GB physical capacity and must be ordered as features of the EXN3500.Physical capacity of the N series filers can be scaled up to 14.4 TB physical capacity with the attachment of EXN3500 SAS expansion units. The EXN3500 SAS expansion unit comes fully configured with up to 24 SAS disk drives of 450 or 600 GB physical capacity.
EXN3500 SAS expansion unit
- Width: 447.2 mm (17.6 in)
- Depth: 542.6 mm (21.4 in)
- Height: 85.3 mm (3.4 in)
- Weight (minimum configuration, 0 HDDs): 17.6 kg (38.9 lb)
- Weight (maximum configuration, 24 HDDs): 22.3 kg (49 lb)
To assure installability and serviceability in non-IBM industry standard racks, review the installation planning information for any product specific installation requirements.
- Maximum range: 10 to 40 degrees C (50 to 104 degrees F)
- Recommended: 20 to 25 degrees C (68 to 77 degrees F)
- Non-operating: -40 to 70 degrees C (-40 to 158 degrees F)
- Relative humidity:
- Maximum operating range: 20% to 80% (non-condensing)
- Recommended operating range: 40 to 55%
- Non-operating range: 10% to 95% (non-condensing)
- Maximum wet bulb: 28 degrees C
- Maximum altitude: 3050 m (10,000 ft.)
Note: Operating at extremes of environment may increase risk of failure.
- Wet bulb (caloric value):
- 1,724 Btu/hr (fully loaded shelf)
- Maximum electrical power: 100 to 240VAC, 12-5.9 A
- Nominal electrical power:
- 100 to 120VAC, 3.6 A; 200 to 240VAC 1.9 A, 50/60 Hz
- Noise level: 6.4 bels @ 1 m @ 23 degrees C
- The EXN3500 SAS expansion unit is supported only in rack installations.
- This product is functional with the System i and OpenPower platforms. However, on the System i, support is only available on Power Linux and AIX partitions, not i5OS.
The EXN3500 may be ordered with no disk drives, but an N series storage controller cannot be installed unless at least one attached expansion unit has at least five disk drives installed.