This section lists the key features of the BladeCenter E chassis.
Scalability and performance
The BladeCenter E chassis offers numerous features to boost performance and improve scalability:
- Up to 14 servers with support for the latest generation of BladeCenter blades, which helps provide performance and investment protection.
- IBM Virtual Fabric offers up to four I/O ports on a single-wide blade and up to four I/O modules in a single chassis, with the choice of Ethernet, Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and SAS connectivity.
- BladeCenter E supports port speeds up to 8 Gbps.
- BladeCenter E provides up to 288 Gbps of external uplink bandwidth (full-duplex) with up to four IBM 1/10Gb Uplink Ethernet switches.
- A flexible and scalable architecture with integrated servers and networking, storage, and management infrastructure supports your growing business needs.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the BladeCenter E chassis:
- The high degree of integration in the BladeCenter E chassis reduces the need for server components, replacing numerous fans, KVM and Ethernet cables, power supplies, external switches, and other components.
- The BladeCenter E chassis includes the Advanced Management Module (AMM). The AMM boosts administrator productivity and reduces skill level requirements, which can help reduce costs, improve overall productivity, and make administration easier by providing a single point of control for the solution. The AMM supports many industry-standard open protocols.
- The AMM provides extensive security features, including role-based user authentication and access control, LDAP support, and SSH and SSL protocols for secure remote systems management.
- IBM Systems Director remains a powerful and intelligent solution to manage BladeCenter systems along side rack mount and tower servers. Systems Director uses the hardware’s capabilities by surfacing pertinent information about your blade server. The easy-to-use wizards provide step-by-step instructions and offer automated deployment capabilities.
- IBM Fabric Manager simplifies the deployment of infrastructure connections by managing network and storage address assignments.
Availability and serviceability
The BladeCenter E chassis provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- BladeCenter reduces the number of parts that are required to run the system. By sharing fans, power supplies, systems management, and ports, there are fewer parts to buy and maintain, and fewer components that can fail and cause downtime.
- Hot-swap components, such as the server, switches, power modules, and blowers, ensure maximum uptime.
- Redundant components, such as blowers and power modules, ensure that systems can remain available even during hardware maintenance windows and failures.
- The Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA) detects when the system components operate outside of the standard thresholds and generates proactive alerts in advance of possible failure, therefore increasing uptime.
- Dual independent power and signal connectors to the BladeCenter E chassis midplane provide fault tolerance to increase uptime.
- The light path diagnostics panel and individual light path LEDs quickly lead the technician to failed (or failing) components. These features simplify servicing, speed up problem resolution, and improve system availability.
- Three-year customer replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty, with next business day 9x5, provides an additional peace of mind.
The BladeCenter E chassis offers the following energy-efficient features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to a green environment:
- Energy-efficient components and the component-sharing design of the BladeCenter chassis provides ultimate power and cooling savings.
- The BladeCenter E helps reduce energy costs with high-efficiency power supplies.
- The BladeCenter E uses hexagonal ventilation holes, a part of the IBM Calibrated Vectored Cooling™ technology. Hexagonal holes can be grouped more densely than round holes, providing a more efficient airflow through the system, which helps reduce cooling costs.
- IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager™ provides advanced power management features with actual real-time energy monitoring, reporting, and capping features.
Table 1 lists the standard specifications of the BladeCenter E chassis.
Table 1. Standard specifications
Table 2 lists the specifications of the standard BladeCenter E models.
Table 2. BladeCenter E standard models