- Manufacturer IBM
- Product Type DAS
- Form Factor Rack
- Announced 20-Oct-09
- Available 4-Dec-09
- Archived 22-May-15
- Rack Units Controller: 4U
- Disk Type SATA, SAS, SSD
- Warranty 3yr (IOL) NBD Parts [CRU] + Onsite 3-Year IBM Onsite Limited (IOL) Some parts are Customer Replaceable Units (CRU) IBM ships replacement CRU Next Business Day (NBD) and client performs replacement Other parts replacement is done by IBM NBD Onsite
- Market Space Midrange
- Host Connectivity SAS, SATA
- Access Type Block
- Array Purpose General
- Storage Enclosure Max Drives: 24 Max Capacity (raw): 96.0 TB
- Storage OS N/A
The IBM 2857 System Storage EXN3000 SAS/SATA expansion unit is available for attachment to all N series systems except N3300, N3700, N5200, and N5500. The EXN3000 provides low-cost high-capacity Serially Attached SCSI (SAS) Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) disk storage for the IBM N series system storage.
The EXN3000 SAS/SATA expansion unit is a 4U disk storage expansion unit. It may be mounted in any industry standard 19-inch rack. The EXN3000 contains:
- Dual redundant hot-pluggable integrated power supplies and cooling fans
- Dual redundant disk expansion unit switched controllers
- 24 hard disk drive slots
- Diagnostic and status LEDs
The EXN3000 SAS/SATA expansion unit can be shipped with no disk drives installed. Disk drives ordered with the EXN3000 will be installed by IBM in the plant prior to shipping. Disk drives may be of 100 GB (SSD), 300 GB, 450 GB, 500 GB, 600 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB, and 3 TB physical capacity. Drive types may not be intermixed; the EXN3000 is either a SAS storage controller or a SATA storage controller. The drives must be ordered as features of the EXN3000.
EXN3000 SAS/SATA expansion unit
- Width: 448.7 mm (17.7 in)
- Depth: 653.5 mm (25.7 in)
- Height: 174.9 mm (6.9 in)
- Weight (minimum configuration): 24 kg (52.8 lb)
- Weight (maximum configuration): 44.6 kg (98.3 lb)
To assure installability and serviceability in non-IBM industry standard racks, review the installation planning information for any product specific installation requirements.
- Maximum range: 10 to 40 degrees C (50 to 104 degrees F)
- Recommended: 20 to 25 degrees C (68 to 77 degrees F)
- Non-operating: -40 to 70 degrees C (-40 to 158 degrees F)
- Relative Humidity:
- Maximum operating range: 20% to 80% (non-condensing)
- Recommended operating range: 40 to 55%
- Non-operating range: 10% to 95% (non-condensing)
- Maximum wet bulb: 28 degrees C
- Maximum altitude: 3045 m (10,000 ft.)
Note: Operating at extremes of environment may increase risk of failure.
- Wet bulb (caloric value):
- 2,201 Btu/hr (fully loaded shelf, SAS drives)
- 1,542 Btu/hr (fully loaded shelf, SATA drives)
- Maximum electrical power: 100 to 240VAC, 16-6 A (8-3A max per inlet)
- Nominal electrical power:
- 100 to 120VAC, 6 A; 200 to 240VAC, 3 A, 50/60 Hz (SAS drives)
- 100 to 120VAC, 4.4 A; 200 to 240VAC, 2.1 A, 50/60 Hz (SATA drives)
- 5.7 bels @ 1 m @ 23 degrees C (SATA drives) idle
- 6.0 bels @ 1 m @ 23 degrees C (SAS drives) idle
- 6.7 bels @ 1 m @ 23 degrees C (SATA drives) operating
- 7.0 bels @ 1 m @ 23 degrees C (SAS drives) operating
- Noise level:
- The EXN3000 SAS/SATA expansion unit is supported only in rack installations.
- This product is functional with the System i and OpenPower platforms However, on the System i, support is only available on Power Linux and AIX partitions, not i5OS.
- At least some of the storage in an N series system must be rotating disk drives, that is, the storage of an N series system may not be all SSD.
The EXN3000 may be ordered with no disk drives, but an N series storage controller cannot be installed unless at least one attached expansion unit has at least five disk drives installed.