Lenovo Flex System x240
The Flex System™ x240 Compute Node is a high-performance server that offers outstanding performance for virtualization with new levels of CPU performance and memory capacity, and flexible configuration options. The x240 Compute Node is an efficient server designed to run a broad range of workloads, armed with advanced management capabilities allowing you to manage your physical and virtual IT resources from a single-pane of glass.
Suggested use: database, virtualization, enterprise applications, collaboration/email, streaming media, web, HPC, Microsoft RemoteFX, and cloud applications.
Note: This Product Guide describes the models of the x240 Compute Node with Intel Xeon E5-2600 processors. For models with the Intel Xeon E5-2600 v2 processors, see http://lenovopress.com/tips1090
Figure 1 shows the Flex System x240 Compute Node.
Figure 1. The Flex System x240 Compute Node
Did you know?
Flex System is a new category of computing that integrates multiple server architectures, networking, storage, and system management capability into a single system that is easy to deploy and manage. Flex System has full built-in virtualization support of servers, storage, and networking to speed provisioning and increased resiliency. In addition, it supports open industry standards, such as operating systems, networking and storage fabrics, virtualization, and system management protocols, to easily fit within existing and future data center environments. Flex System is scalable and extendable with multi-generation upgrades to protect and maximize IT investments.
The Flex System x240 Compute Node is a high-availability, scalable compute node optimized to support the next-generation microprocessor technology and is ideally suited for medium and large businesses. This section describes the key features of the server.
Scalability and performance
The x240 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- The Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 product family improves productivity by offering superior system performance with up to 8-core processors and up to 3.3 GHz core speeds depending on the CPU's number of cores, up to 20 MB of L3 cache, and QPI interconnect links of up to 8 GT/s.
- The Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 provides up to 80% performance boost over the previous generation, the Intel Xeon Processor 5600 (Westmere EP).
- Up to two processors, 16 cores, and 32 threads maximize the concurrent execution of multi-threaded applications.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows CPU cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor TDP.
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multi-threaded applications by enabling simultaneous multi-threading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better utilize the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (AVT) significantly improve floating point performance for compute-intensive technical and scientific applications compared with Intel Xeon 5600 series processors.
- Up to 24 DDR3 ECC memory RDIMMs provide speeds up to 1600 MHz and a memory capacity of up to 384 GB. Load-reduced DIMMs (LRDIMMs) are supported with a maximum capacity of 768 GB.
- The theoretical maximum memory bandwidth of the Intel Xeon processor E5 family is 51.6 GBps, which is 60% more than in the previous generation of Intel Xeon processors.
- The use of solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of or along with traditional spinning drives (HDDs) can significantly improve I/O performance. An SSD can support up to 100 times more I/O operations per second (IOPS) than a typical HDD.
- Supports the Storage Expansion Node providing an additional 12 hot-swap 2.5-inch drive bays for local storage.
- Up to 32 virtual I/O ports per compute node with integrated 10 Gb Ethernet ports, offering the choice of Ethernet, iSCSI, or Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) connectivity.
- The x240 offers PCI Express 3.0 I/O expansion capabilities that improve the theoretical maximum bandwidth by 60% (8 GT/s per link), compared with the previous generation of PCI Express 2.0.
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor E5 family. This helps to dramatically reduce I/O latency and increase overall system performance.
- Support for high-bandwidth I/O adapters, up to two in each x240 Compute Node. Support for 10 Gb Ethernet, 16 Gb Fibre Channel, and FDR InfiniBand.
- Supports the PCIe Expansion Node for support for up to six additional I/O adapters.
Availability and serviceability
The x240 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- Chipkill, memory mirroring and memory rank sparing for redundancy in the event of a non-correctable memory failure.
- Tool-less cover removal provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts, such as CPU, memory, and adapter cards.
- Hot-swap drives supporting integrated RAID 1 redundancy for data protection and greater system uptime.
- A light path diagnostics panel and individual light path LEDs to quickly lead the technician to failed (or failing) components. This simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability.
- Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA), which detects when system components (such as processors, memory, and hard disk drives) operate outside of standard thresholds and generates pro-active alerts in advance of possible failure, therefore increasing uptime.
- Solid-state drives (SSDs), which offer significantly better reliability than traditional mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- Built-in Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovering actions in case of failures to minimize downtime.
- Built-in diagnostics using Dynamic Systems Analysis (DSA) Preboot speeds up troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time.
- Three-year customer replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty, next business day 9x5. Optional service upgrades are available.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the x240:
- The x240 includes an Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) to monitor server availability and perform remote management.
- Integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enables improved setup, configuration, and updates, and simplifies error handling.
- Integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 support enables advanced cryptographic functionality, such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- Industry-standard AES NI support for faster, stronger encryption.
- Integrates with the IBM® Flex System™ Manager for proactive systems management. It offers comprehensive systems management for the entire Flex System platform that help to increase up-time, reduce costs, and improve productivity through advanced server management capabilities.
- Lenovo Fabric Manager simplifies deployment of infrastructure connections by managing network and storage address assignments.
- Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality can help prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks when combined with a supporting operating system.
- Intel Trusted Execution Technology provides enhanced security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks, allowing an application to run in its own isolated space protected from all other software running on a system.
The x240 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to the green environment:
- Component-sharing design of the Flex System chassis provides ultimate power and cooling savings.
- The Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 product family offers significantly better performance over the previous generation while fitting into the same thermal design power (TDP) limits.
- Intel Intelligent Power Capability powers individual processor elements on and off as needed, to reduce power draw.
- Low-voltage Intel Xeon processors draw less energy to satisfy demands of power and thermally constrained data centers and telecommunication environments.
- Low-voltage 1.35 V DDR3 memory RDIMMs consume 15% less energy than 1.5 V DDR3 RDIMMs.
- Solid state drives (SSDs) consume as much as 80% less power than traditional spinning 2.5-inch HDDs.
- The x240 uses hexagonal ventilation holes, a part of Calibrated Vectored Cooling™ technology. Hexagonal holes can be grouped more densely than round holes, providing more efficient airflow through the system.
Locations of key components and connectors
Figure 2 shows the front of the server.
Figure 2. Front view of the Flex System x240 Compute Node
Figure 3 shows the locations of key components inside the server.
Figure 3. Inside view of the Flex System x240 Compute Node
The following table lists the standard specifications.
Table 1. Standard specifications
|Models||8737-x1x and 8737-x2x (x-config)
8737-15X and 7863-10X (e-config)
|Form factor||Standard-width compute node.|
|Chassis support||Flex System Enterprise Chassis.|
|Processor||Up to two Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 product family CPUs with eight-core (up to 2.9 GHz) or six-core (up to 2.9 GHz) or quad-core (up to 3.3 GHz) or dual-core (up to 3.0 GHz). Two QPI links up to 8.0 GT/s each. Up to 1600 MHz memory speed. Up to 20 MB L3 cache.|
|Chipset||Intel C600 series.|
|Memory||Up to 24 DIMM sockets (12 DIMMs per processor) using Low Profile (LP) DDR3 DIMMs. RDIMMs, UDIMMs, and LRDIMMs supported. 1.5 V and low-voltage 1.35 V DIMMs supported. Support for up to 1600 MHz memory speed depending on the processor. Four memory channels per processor (three DIMMs per channel). Supports two DIMMs per channel operating at 1600 MHz (2 DPC @ 1600MHz) with single and dual rank RDIMMs. Supports three DIMMs per channel at 1066 MHz 1600MHz) with single and dual rank RDIMMs.|
|Memory maximums||With LRDIMMs: Up to 768 GB with 24x 32 GB LRDIMMs and two processors
With RDIMMs: Up to 384 GB with 24x 16 GB RDIMMs and two processors
With UDIMMs: Up to 64 GB with 16x 4 GB UDIMMs and two processors
|Memory protection||ECC, Chipkill (for x4-based memory DIMMs), memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing.|
|Disk drive bays||Two 2.5" hot-swap SAS/SATA drive bays supporting SAS, SATA, and SSD drives. Optional support for up to eight 1.8” SSDs. Up to 12 additional 2.5-inch drive bays with the optional Storage Expansion Node.|
|Maximum internal storage||With two 2.5” hot-swap drives: Up to 2 TB with 1 TB 2.5" NL SAS HDDs, or up to 2.4 TB with 1.2 TB 2.5" SAS HDDs, or up to 2 TB with 1 TB 2.5" SATA HDDs, or up to 3.2 TB with 1.6 TB 2.5" SATA SSDs. An intermix of SAS and SATA HDDs and SSDs is supported. Alternatively, with 1.8” SSDs and ServeRAID M5115 RAID adapter, up to 4 TB with eight 512 GB 1.8” SSDs. Additional storage available with an attached Flex System Storage Expansion Node.|
|RAID support||RAID 0 and 1 with integrated LSI SAS2004 controller. Optional ServeRAID M5115 RAID controller with RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 50 support and 1 GB cache. Supports up to eight 1.8” SSD with expansion kits. Optional flash-backup for cache, RAID 6/60, SSD performance enabler.|
|Optical and tape bays||No internal bays; use an external USB drive. See http://support.lenovo.com/en/documents/pd011281 for options.|
|Network interfaces||x2x models: Two 10 Gb Ethernet ports with Embedded 10Gb Virtual
Fabric Ethernet LAN-on-motherboard (LOM) controller; Emulex BE3 based.
x1x models: None standard; optional 1Gb or 10Gb Ethernet adapters.
|PCI Expansion slots||Two I/O connectors for adapters. PCI Express 3.0 x16 interface. Includes an Expansion Connector (PCIe 3.0 x16) to connect an expansion node such as the PCIe Expansion Node. PCIe Expansion Node supports two full-height PCIe adapters, two low-profile PCIe adapters and two Flex System I/O adapters.|
|Ports||USB ports: One external. Two internal for embedded hypervisor with optional USB Enablement Kit. Console breakout cable port providing local KVM and serial ports (cable standard with chassis; additional cables optional).|
|Systems management||UEFI, Integrated Management Module 2 (IMM2) with Renesas SH7757 controller, Predictive Failure Analysis, light path diagnostics panel, automatic server restart, remote presence. Support for IBM Flex System Manager, IBM Systems Director and Active Energy Manager, and Lenovo ServerGuide.|
|Security features||Power-on password, administrator's password, Trusted Platform Module 1.2.|
|Video||Matrox G200eR2 video core with 16 MB video memory integrated into the IMM2. Maximum resolution is 1600x1200 at 75 Hz with 16 M colors.|
|Limited warranty||3-year customer-replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty with 9x5/NBD.|
|Operating systems supported||Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, VMware ESXi. See the Operating system support section for specifics.|
|Service and support||Optional service upgrades are available through ServicePacs®: 4-hour or 2-hour response time, 8-hour fix time, 1-year or 2-year warranty extension, remote technical support for Lenovo hardware and selected Lenovo and OEM software.|
|Dimensions||Width: 215 mm (8.5”), height 51 mm (2.0”), depth 493 mm (19.4”).|
|Weight||Maximum configuration: 6.98 kg (15.4 lb).|